Tenterden Terrier

Edge Hill Light Railway

01_edgehillThis 3.5 mile long ironstone carrier was engineered by Stephens in 1919 with a 1 in 6 cable-worked incline in the middle. Stephens had fomally severed his engineering connections before construction and the line's working life started in 1922 but it never officially opened and intermittent activity ceased in 1925 as the ironstone deposit was uneconomic. The line was severed in WW2 for an army ordinance depot  and stock and the remaining line rotted away until torn up for scrap in 1946.

02_edgehill

 

 

A Short History of the Edge Hill Light Railway - Brian Janes

Further reading

 

Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands Part II Oxfordshire. E S Tonks. Runpast Publishing. 1988