Tenterden Terrier

Sheppy Light Railway

01_sheppey

Colonel Stephens was the engineer of this railway from its inception in 1896 through authorisation in 1899 to opening in 1901. As intended by the promoters, ownership passed to the SE&CR in 1905. It was in every way typical of his construction methods but operation was always in the hands of the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and subsequently the Southern Railway and British Railways, thereby losing much of its special light railway character. At first moderately successful it lost out to electric tram and other road competition and closed completely in 1950.


02_sheppey

Further reading:

The Sheppey Light Railway. Brian Hart. Wild Swan Publications. 1992