Tenterden Terrier

Tenterden Terrier Number 114 – Spring 2011

terrier114

20-21
Tickets please!
Roger Allin
The Chief Booking Clerk reports on passenger numbers for 2010. There was a grand total of 93,543, 4.7% more than in 2009, in spite of wintery weather which reduced numbers for the first 'Thomas' event in February and caused the cancellation of a whole day's Santa Specials and two Saturday evening Pullmans in December.

22-23
Cavell van launch
Norman Brice
A dedication ceremony for the newly restored Cavell van (SE&CR luggage van No 132) was held at Tenterden Town station on 10th November 2010, exactly ninety years since it was used to convey the body of the Unknown Warrior from Dover harbour to London. The guest of honour was Admiral The Lord Boyce, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports and Constable of Dover Castle, and other guests included representatives of the Royal London Hospital League of Nurses (where Edith Cavell trained) and a relative of Captain Charles Fryatt. A dedication service was conducted by Rev John Emmott, who is also a K&ESR volunteer.

24-25
Gervase reborn
'Gervase', a Sentinel vertical-boilered locomotive rebuilt from a Manning Wardle saddle tank, was the first locomotive acquired by the Kent & East Sussex Railway Preservation Society in 1962. After many years of disuse, it is being rebuilt at Elsecar, Yorkshire, and this photo feature illustrates the progress of the work, including the steaming of the new boiler

26-27
People in profile – Geoff Crouch
The editor interviews Geoff Crouch, who succeeded Norman Brice as Chairman of the K&ESR at the November 2010 Board meeting. Geoff became involved with the K&ESR in 1994 and has been Permanent Way manager

29-31
Developing the railway
Ian Legg
The Board is developing a list of major infrastructure projects which will permit the K&ESR to develop over the next several years. First is the carriage shed extension at Tenterden, which is structurally complete although some fitting out remains to be completed in Phase 2. Other possible projects include a carriage storage shed and locomotive running shed at Rolvenden, a new museum building, better facilities for volunteers, automation of Cranbrook Road and Rolvenden level crossings, and improved commercial offices, shop and buffet at Tenterden. Total cost of these has been estimated as between £3.5 and £8 million

32-33
Gricer's Mark I Musings
A regular volunteer comments on issues including the need for a better staff mess room at Tenterden, the importance of the Cavell Van as part of the social history of railways, improvements at Wittersham Road and the period artwork used for publicity

34-35
Carriage shed progress
A photo feature illustrating progress with the carriage shed extension at Tenterden, including the presentation of a contribution towards the project from the former Maidstone Area Group

36-37
Colonel Stephens Railway Museum organisation
Brian Janes
With a view to it becoming an officially accredited museum, a Museum Committee of the K&ESR Board has been set up to govern the Museum and safeguard and enhance its collections. Once accreditation is achieved, more opportunities for funding and for the loan of exhibits should become available

38-41
1961: a key year for railway preservation
Brian Janes
Looks back fifty years to the withdrawal of the remaining freight service on the K&ESR by British Railways and the formation of the Kent & East Sussex Railway Preservation Society in 1961

44-46
Road transport of the Kent and East Sussex Railway – Part one
John Miller
Describes the four horse-drawn road vehicles used by the original K&ESR, all of which were taken over from William Hook & Son of Tenterden in 1916. They included a horse bus, built by W.J. Mercer of Tenterden in 1902 and now part of the National Railway Museum collection, a covered van and two four-wheeled drays