Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 11 - Winter 1976

Tenterden Terrier Number 11Number 11 – Winter 1976

7
A new arrival
Philip Rimmer
Report of the arrival at Tenterden on 28 August 1976 of the body of a 4-wheeled, 3-compartment brake third carriage, built for the London, Chatham & Dover Railway in April 1889 (SE&CR No. 3059).  The body was donated to the railway by the owner of a farm near Kingsnorth

8-10
More about bridges
Malcolm Simmons
The Civil Engineering Department Manager explains how the problem of bridge reconstruction is being tackled.  Work in progress on the Newmill Channel bridge (No. 2336) using second-hand Callender-Hamilton bridging from Aylesford is described, and proposals for the Hexden Channel bridge (No. 2347) and the River Rother bridge are outlined

11-13
Early days
Robin Doust
A founder member reminiscences on the trials and tribulations of railway preservation in the early 1960s.  Mentions the telephone system, ‘Gervase’, and track lifting at the Headcorn end of the Tenterden headshunt

14-15
100 years of steam
Brian Stephenson
Photograph of a cavalcade of nine steam locomotives, together with the ‘Woolwich’ (ex-North London Railway) coach and a Southern Railway goods brake van, from Rolvenden to Tenterden on 25 September 1976

19
From our ticket collection – Rother Valley specials
Robin Doust
Illustrates and describes a ticket for the ‘Rother Valley Limited’ excursion, organized by the Locomotive Club of Great Britain on 19 October 1958

20-23
A railway on a budget
Humphrey Brandram-Jones
The author relates his experiences as a young civil engineer employed on the construction of the North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway from 1923 to 1925

24
From the railway archives – Trouble at Boston Lodge, 1926
Reproduces a letter from Colonel Stephens (at the Lord Warden Hotel, Dover) to his assistant W.H. Austen criticizing the management and workers of the Festiniog Railway

27-28
The Kent & East Sussex in wartime
Mark Yonge
Interview with Colonel Kenneth Cantlie CEng FIMechE FPWayI who was responsible for coastal defence from several railways including the K&ESR from 1940 to 1942