Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 4 - Summer 1974

Tenterden Terrier Number 4Number 4 – Summer 1974

5
Establishment of a ‘Colonel Stephens’ museum
Letters, photographs, documents and relics are being sought with the eventual aim of establishing a museum dedicated to Lt-Col H.F. Stephens and his railways at Tenterden

6-7
Problems… and people
Peter Davis
The chairman outlines the requirements for extending the operating section of the K&ESR from Rolvenden towards Bodiam.  “At this rate of progress… our ultimate aim is likely to take 12 years….  12 years is unthinkable and we should aim for completion in 6 years”

7
From our ticket collection
Illustrates a ticket issued to Mr J. Munn-Mace for the official opening of the extension from Rolvenden to Tenterden Town on 16 March 1903

8-9
Services are resumed
Donald Wilson
Photographs of trains in the first few weeks after reopening, mainly hauled by “Terrier” locomotive ‘Sutton’ with some assistance from “Terrier” ‘Bodiam’ and the Manning-Wardle 0-6-0ST ‘Arthur’

10
The mystery of Tenterden Town Station
Photographs of Tenterden Town taken at the opening ceremony on 16 March 1903 and during construction some time earlier show a small wooden building quite different from that later in use.  It is thought that the original building was moved to Rolvenden at a later date and used as a storage hut.  A letter from D.S. Lindsay (Tenterden Terrier No. 5, p.19, Winter 1974) suggests that the building was moved to Headcorn Junction

11
Personalities of the Kent & East Sussex.  1: George Dobell
Mark Yonge
Interview with George Dobell, who worked on the K&ESR from 1917 to 1954

12
Boxing Day 1973
‘Cornerseat’
Services were run on Boxing Day 1973 for members only, pending an official inspection

13-15
A ride on the Ford rail motor in 1935
Stephen Garrett
Reproduces an article which appeared in the Kent Messenger in September 1935, and outlines the history of petrol engined railcars on the K&ESR.  See also a letter from Peter Taylor (Tenterden Terrier No. 5, p.19, Winter 1974), describing the construction of the railmotors by Eaton Coachworks of Cringleford, Norwich

16
From the railway archives
A letter written by H.F. Stephens in 1908, criticizing the stationmaster at Biddenden, a Mr Borner

17
Eheu, vale!
Lilian I Seaton
A poem written at the time of the closure of the K&ESR to passenger traffic in January 1954