Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 5 - Winter 1974

Tenterden Terrier Number 5Number 5 – Winter 1974

4
A memorable occasion – some impressions of the official re-opening ceremony
Roger Crawford
Account of the official re-opening by Rt. Hon. William Deedes MC DL, MP for Ashford, on Saturday 1 June 1974

5-6
Tenterden’s largest engine – the story of the Southern Mogul Preservation Society
Rodney Packham
History and preservation of Southern Railway U class 2-6-0 No. 1618, which was moved from a private siding near Maidstone to Tenterden in October 1972.  See also a letter from Arthur Ll Lambert (Tenterden Terrier No. 6, p.19, Spring 1975)

6
The appeal
Philip Shaw
Results of an appeal launched in October 1973 to finance the further restoration of the railway

7
Personalities of the Kent and East Sussex.  2: Jack Hoad
Philip Shaw
Interview with Jack Hoad, who joined the K&ESR as a fitter in 1928, and still drives on the preserved K&ESR as a hobby

8
Enthusiasts visit K&ESR forty years ago
R.W. Kidner
A visit by members of the Oxford University Railway Society and the (London) Railway Club on Saturday 27 June 1936.  The ‘Royal Saloon’ was attached to a train hauled by No. 8 for the party

9-11
“The move”
Cornerseat
Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST “Arthur” was used to move two ex-Longmoor SE&CR “birdcage” carriages from Northiam to Rolvenden on 18 May 1974, the first visit to Northiam by a steam engine for 8 years.  Illustrated with photographs by Donald Wilson

12-13
Colonel Stephens’ Royal carriages
Stephen Garrett
History of two Royal carriages built by the London & South Western Railway in 1844 and 1851 and acquired by Holman F. Stephens for use on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire and Kent & East Sussex Railways, respectively.  The latter may have been used on the Plymouth, Devonport & South Western Junction Railway first

14-15
The Robertsbridge & Pevensey Light Railway
Neil Rose
History of this proposed 15-mile line, which received a Light Railway Order in June 1900 but was never built.  The engineer was A.J. Barry

15
From our ticket collection
Robin Doust
Illustrates and describes a First Class Free Pass for the K&ESR, No. 91 of 1945, which was apparently never issued

16-17
A railway now almost forgotten
“Hopleaf”
Reminiscences of travelling on the K&ESR, reprinted from Kent Life for July 1965

15
???
Reproduces a photograph, taken at Rolvenden and found at the offices of Drake & Fletcher, automobile engineers, Maidstone, which shows the chassis of an early motor car or commercial vehicle converted to rail use.  See also a later article (Tenterden Terrier No. 6, p.14-15, Spring 1976) identifying this as a Wolseley-Siddeley

18
The Camber Tram.  Childhood memories of the Rye and Camber Tramway
Rev. J.E. Anderson
Recollections of the Tram from 1911 onwards

19
Concrete sleepers
T.G. Burnham
Letter mentioning the use of concrete sleeper blocks with metal tie-bars on the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway in 1919

20
From the railway archives
Copy of a letter sent by Colonel Stephens to his employees dated 10 November 1919 following a railway strike

20-21
The ‘Punch’ poem
Reproduces a poem about the K&ESR by C. Hugh Bevan, which was published (with illustrations by Roland Emmett) in Punch for 3 June 1946 and reprinted in Emmett’s book “Home rails preferred”