CSS graphic

Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 7 - Summer 1975

Tenterden Terrier Number 7Number 7 – Summer 1975

7, 21
The next two years
Stephen Bennett
The company chairman outlines plans to install signaling at Tenterden by March 1976 and extent public services to Wittersham Road by March 1977

Signalling at Tenterden.  The problems arising from a curious track layout
David Yorke
Outlines plans to provide signalling at Tenterden Town.  The lever frame being used is a Saxby & Farmer 23-lever “Duplex” locking frame, which was originally installed in the box at Chilham

From our ticket collection.  Under false colours
Robin Doust
Illustrates and describes an early post-Nationalisation third class single ticket from Tenterden Town to Frittenden Road, with a “Southern Railway” heading

Personalities of the Kent and East Sussex.  4: Arthur Harris
Mark Yonge
Interview with Arthur Harris, who started work as a young lad in 1919 at Tenterden station

75 years of the Rother Valley Light Railway
Photographs of the ceremony held at Rolvenden on 22 March 1975 to commemorate the opening of the Rother Valley Railway from Robertsbridge to the present Rolvenden station on 2 April 1900

Firing – Kent & East Sussex style
Simon Green
Simon Green learns to fire, and discovers the different characters of No. 22 “Maunsell”, No. 3 “Bodiam”, No. 19 (Norwegian) and No. 23 (Austerity)

Evidence in camera.  The wreck of the Hesperus
Robin Doust
Photographs from the W.H. Austen collection showing the derailment of 0-6-0ST No. 8 “Hesperus” (formerly named “Ringing Rock”) on flooded track at Padgham Curve between Bodiam and Northiam in February 1916

The station
Reprints a thinly disguised account of the K&ESR in the 1920s from “A parcel of Kent”, by F.J. Harvey Darton

Memories of the Selsey Tramway
H.C. Casserley
Recollections of visits in 1925, 1928 and (after closure) in 1935, with notes on the locomotives seen on each visit

Absent friends.  1 – The horse bus

Stephen Garrett
Among the exhibits at the National Railway Museum is a horse bus, built by the W.J. Mercer Carriage works in Tenterden and acquired by the K&ESR about 1916 (later research shows that it had previously been run under contract to the Railway)

From the railway archives
Reproduction of a comic postcard entitled “Our local express Tenterden to Headcorn”, on sale in the Tenterden area in about 1914 (see also a letter from Derek Purcell, Tenterden Terrier No. 8, p.24, Winter 1975)