Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 106 – Summer 2008

Tenterden Terrier Number 106Number 106 – Summer 2008

18-21
Thunderbirds to go (Part 2)
Nick Pallant
Continues the story of two Class 14 diesel hydraulic 0-6-0 locomotives (Nos. 48 and 49) based on the K&ESR and hired through Stratrail Ltd. Projects where they were used included the Whitemoor materials distribution centre and Phase 2 of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (CTRL)

25-26
Employment and salaries
Norman Brice
The chairman explains why the K&ESR employs the number of people it does, how we compare with steam railways, and what might be done about it

27-28
From the boardroom
Nick Pallant
Summary of matters discussed at recent Board meetings

29-32
Rye & Camber extension centenary
Laurie Cooksey
Marks the centenary of the opening of a half-mile extension of the Rye & Camber Tramway from Camber to Camber Sands on Monday 13 July 1908

34-36
Nationalisation – the end of independence
Brian Janes
Describes the reaction of the British Railways regional authorities to the three standard gauge light railways controlled from Salford Terrace following their nationalization at the beginning of 1948 – the K&ESR, the East Kent and the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire.

37-39
Obituaries
Robin Doust (1941-2008) who was one of the three founders of the movement to preserve the K&ESR and who dies in Zimbabwe; Andrew Wilton (1963-2008); David Campbell (1938-2008); Malcolm Knight (1940-2008)

41
A virtual K&ESR extension anyone?
Paul Wright
The author is extending the original K&ESR add-on package for Microsoft Train Simulator to include Bodiam to Robertsbridge and Tenterden to Headcorn, in addition to the Paddock Wood to Hawkhurst branch

39-42
The USAs
Brian Janes
In connection with the return to service of No.22 ‘Maunsell’, the history of the ‘USA’ class of 060T is outlined. A total of 382 were built for the US Army Transportation Corps (type S100) to a design by Col. Howard G. Hill for use in Europe. After the Second World War, 14 were used by the Southern Railway at Southampton Docks and later elsewhere, and two were acquired by the Kent & East Sussex Locomotive Trust in 1968