Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 109 – Summer 2009

terrier109Number 109 - Summer 2009

17
People in profile – A. Brice
Nick Pallant
A profile of Carriage & Wagon Shed Supervisor Alan Brice. Trained as a joiner, his other interests include the restoration of steam rollers including a Wallis & Steevens and a Marshall

18
Neil Rose
P.D. Shaw
An obituary of Neil Rose, who died on 11th May 2009, aged 62. Neil was Company Secretary and a Director of the Tenterden Railway Co. Ltd. between 1977 and 1979, Assistant Editor of the Tenterden Terrier between 1987 and 1989, Chairman and Treasurer of the Norwegian Locomotive Trust and an active member of the Terrier Trust. He was rostered regularly as a signalman and a guard, and also served as the "Fat Controller" on "Day out with Thomas" events and as Father Christmas during the festive season

19
Mixed at Northiam 1953

Brian Janes
The Museum recently acquired a batch of colour slides taken on the K&ESR in 1953 and 1955. Three of them, showing a mixed train hauled by 'Terrier' No. 32655 dropping off wagons at Northiam, are reproduced

21-23
Guarding the guards
Graham Williams
The Guards' Inspector of the K&ESR describes his role within the Operating Department, which focuses on the assessment and training of the 54 guards, shunters and trainees

24-26
May Gala
Photographs of the Gala Weekend (2nd-4th May), including visiting engines from the Bluebell Railway, SE&CR 'O1' class No. 65 and 'Terrier' No. 32655

27-30
Railway preservation in Tasmania and Britain

Peter Southgate

A survey of excursion trains and heritage railways in the Australian state of Tasmania. The Tasmanian Government Railways, of 3 ft 6 in gauge, have carried freight only since 1978. There are tourist lines of both 3 ft 6 in and 2 foot gauges. The Derwent Valley Railway in south Tasmania (not operating at present) runs past hop fields originally planted by William Shoobridge from Tenterden in 1825

31-32
From the board room
Nick Pallant
A selection of topics discussed at Directors' meetings in January, February, March and April 2009

33-36
Closure
Brian Janes
This article looks at the procedures which led to the closure of the K&ESR following nationalization. Includes figures presented to the Branch Lines Committee of the Railway Executive, showing that the Tenterden-Headcorn section was then carrying about six passengers, 15 parcels and 11 tons of goods a day. The Robertsbridge-Tenterden section averaged 71 passengers, 88 parcels and 100 tons of goods. Includes some reminiscences by George Fraser, then a driver at Ashford who worked on the K&ESR in the last days of the passenger service

37-39
The case of the suspicious civil servant
Dennis Nolan
Correspondence from the National Archives which throws light on H.F. Stephens' dealings with the Board of Trade over the opening of the flour mill siding at Robertsbridge in 1902

41
"Bodiam West" – a joint statement by K&ESR and RVR
N.R. Brice and G. Crawley
The Chairmen of the Kent & East Sussex Railway and the Rother Valley Railway Heritage Trust set out the current position regarding the additional 700 metres of track laid from the K&ESR limit of operation almost as far as Udiam Farm and Junction Road

42-45
Rails to the flying grounds: the Sheppey Light Railway and the birth of British aviation
Tom Burnham
2009 is being celebrated as the centenary of British aviation. The aeroplane pioneers of the Aero Club (of which H.F. Stephens became a member) conducted many of the trials on the Isle of Sheppey, and the Sheppey Light Railway, which gave access to the flying grounds at Leysdown and Eastchurch, played a significant role in their activities

48
Looking back
Tim Arnott
A poem of nostalgia for the days of steam locomotives on the main line