Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 112 - Summer 2010

terrier112Number 112 - summer 2010

19-23
Charwelton 2010
David Hunter
'Charwelton', a Manning-Wardle 0-6-0ST, has been on the K&ESR on and off since January 1964. Following expiry of the boiler certificate, she was withdrawn from traffic in 2001 and work started on an overhaul, only to be halted in 2003. This article describes how work was re-started as a volunteer-led project, and how the Rolvenden 'Saturday Gang' evolved around this loco, which returned to service in time for the Branch Line Weekend in 2010

24-26
May Gala
Photos of this event, including visiting engines, 4MT 2-6-4T No. 80072 and 3F 0-6-0T 47493. There is also a photograph of a Colonel Stephens-inspired 4mm scale model railway, 'Acol' 

27-28
Keeping the rolling stock rolling – appeal launch
Tim Hockney
Description of the proposed extension to the carriage restoration shed at Tenterden. Work is planned to start in late July for completion by December. An appeal has been launched to cover the cost of £200,000

29
Obituary: Angela Clark-Monks
Angela Clark-Monks died in Leasingham, Lincolnshire, on 23rd January 2010. She started working on the K&ESR as a volunteer in the shop in 1989, and later became the paid Shop Manager and Administration Manager

30-31
Branch Line Weekend
A photo feature including 'Terrier' No 32678 and a Drewery diesel loco working demonstration freight trains in the style of the 1950s

35-36
Mark I musings
'Gricer'
A long-standing volunteer comments on topics of recent interest, including the Gala and Branch Line Weekend, the impact of climate change and the hope that casual visitors who just want to visit the shop or buy refreshments will not be required to buy a platform ticket

37-41
The Kent & East Sussex Railway's Great Eastern carriages
Brian Janes
The K&ESR acquired six carriages second-hand from the Great Eastern Railway between 1900 and 1906 and this article describes their origins, use and eventual disposal

42-46
By horsepower across the Weald
Tom Burnham
Before the K&ESR and the branch line from Paddock Wood to Cranbrook and Hawkhurst were built, the villages of the Weald of Kent and East Sussex were linked to main-line railway stations and market towns by horse buses and carriers' carts. This article looks at the surprisingly comprehensive network of such services and some of the operators responsible for them