Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 13 - Summer 1977

Tenterden Terrier Number 13Number 13 – Summer 1977

7
Frank Davis: an appreciation
P.D.S.
Obituary of Frank Davis, who died on 13 April 1977 in his 79th year.  He had been in charge of the Telecommunications Department at Tenterden for a number of years

9
People and nameplates
On 14 May 1977, the Tenterden Railway Company were hosts to the bi-annual meeting of the Association of Railway Preservation Societies.  Dr John Coiley, Keeper of the National Railway Museum, unveiled the nameplate on locomotive No. 23 ‘Holman F. Stephens’ and also presented to the railway on indefinite loan the nameplate from the former K&ESR ‘Terrier’ No. 5, ‘Rolvenden’

10-12
The last day
Peter Davis
Reminiscences of the last day of passenger services on the K&ESR, 2 January 1954

13-15
First train to Wittersham
‘Morous’
On Saturday 5 March 1977, the first passenger train since January 1954 left Tenterden Town station for Wittersham Road.  Includes a photograph by Brian Stephenson of the train crossing the rebuilt Newmill Bridge

19-21
Shropshire & Montgomeryshire musings
Eric Tonks
The author remembers his first two visits to the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway, in May 1937 and with a Birmingham Locomotive Club tour in April 1939

23
From our ticket collection – A joint effort
Robin Doust
Illustrates and describes a ticket printed by the South Eastern & Chatham Railway for an excursion from Tenterden to Hastings

25-28
From Headcorn to Maidstone.  Part 2: The Headcorn & Maidstone Junction Light Railway 1904/6
Neil Rose
History of this proposed railway from Headcorn Junction to Tovil, which was granted a Light Railway Order in 1906 but which was never built