Burry Port & Gwendraeath Valley
This 21-mile long railway was progressively opened between 1859 and 1891 as a coal carrier, and Holman Stephens was employed as a consultant in 1908 to reconstruct it to legalise its unofficial carrying of passengers. The necessary legislation was obtained in two Light Railway Orders in 1909 and 1911. Stephens supervised re-construction and re-equipment over the years up to 1913 after which he had no further connection.
The railway was grouped with Great Western railway in 1922 Passenger traffic lasted until 1953. Coal traffic continued until 1996.
The BP&GVR and its Antecedant Canals, Volume 2: The railway and Dock,R W Miller. Oakwood Press, 2009