Tenterden Terrier Number 122 - Winter 2013
An early history of Marcia
Built by Peckett & Sons of Bristol in 1923 (works number 1631), 0-4-0T locomotive "Marcia" has now been on the K&ESR for 50 years. She was first used at Station Quarry, Matlock, Derbyshire, then at the Ballochmyle Quarry, Mauchline, Dumfriesshire, and from 1943 by the Manchester Oxide Co. Ltd. of Pendleton. This company was acquired by Hardman & Holden Ltd., who gave "Marcia" her present name. After they stopped using rail transport, "Marcia" moved to the K&ESR in July 1963.
Return to Robertsbridge 2013
On the weekend of Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd September, steam trains were run over the track reconstructed by the Rother Valley Railway from the new platform at Robertsbridge Junction to Northbridge Street, using "Terrier" 32670 and three vintage carriages. The events of and leading up to this historic weekend are described with contributions from Jamie Douglas (permanent way), Tom White (Terrier Trust), Bradley Bottomley (guard), Ian Scarlett (driver), Mark Yonge, Mike Hart and Gardner Crawley (RVR).
A short history of 5668
0-6-2T 5668 was built by the Great Western Railway at Swindon Works in 1926 and worked from a variety of sheds in South Wales before it was condemned in September 1964. It was then sold to Woodham's scrapyard at Barry, but was not cut up. It was finally acquired for preservation and moved to the Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway in August 1987. 5668 moved to the K&ESR earlier this year and is stored at Wittersham Road. It will initially be used as a source of spares for 4253, but it is hoped to restore it to working order in the longer term.
Catering on line!
The first "Wine and Dine" trains ran on the K&ESR in 1974, using Pullman car "Barbara". This article describes how the pioneering operation grew from its modest start to the present "Wealden Pullman".
The branch line from Havant to Hayling Island closed in November 1963, worked by "Terrier" locomotives to the end. The Editor had visited the line a year before, and an article from the January/February 1963 edition of "The Rother Valley Railway" is reprinted with comments.
On Saturday 10th August, 1963, "Terrier" 32678 worked the last train over the West Quay line (or "tramway") at Newhaven. On Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th August this year, No. 32678, in the appropriate late British Railways lined black livery, ran again with a wreath and appropriate chalked inscriptions as it had done fifty years before.
The next generation – Bradley Bottomley
Profile of a 20-year-old volunteer, who started training as a guard in 2011, describing how he began his interest in the K&ESR by visiting the railway in the late 1990s and has since progressed to other roles, including crossing keeper and stationmaster.
Obituary: Jim Durrant
Jim Durrant, who died in September was a long-standing supporter of the railway, and was one of the original members of the Sussex Area Group in 1981. He played a leading part in repairing the station building at Northiam, and when train services to the station began in 1990, he became booking clerk and stationmaster, a role which he continued until 2009.
Obituary: Raymond J. Williams
Raymond Williams, who died in July, was Company Secretary of the Tenterden Railway Company for some ten years up to 1995. His period of office included the extension of services to Northiam, followed by financial problems in the early 1990s. He was later involved with the administration of the Association of Railway Preservation Societies (now the Heritage Railway Association).
Tour de France proves tour de force
With the Tour de France due to start in Yorkshire in 2014, this article (first appearing on the Terrier Trust website) describes the author's experience of the Tour de France in July 2007, when the world's most famous cycle race passed through Tenterden and the K&ESR provided a park-and-ride service for spectators.