Terrier Number 134 - Winter 2017
A new siding for Rolvenden
A new siding is to be installed at the rear of the Carriage Storage Shed at Rolvenden Riverside as part of a scheme to decommission Ewhurst Siding and tidy the railway. An access roadway, drainage works and some earthworks have been completed.
The next generation: Dan Dickson
Dan began volunteering on the K&ESR as a cleaner at the age of 14. By 21 he had qualified as a driver. He is also employed by the K&ESR as a steam fitter.
GWR 4253 - a work in progress
The 4253 Locomotive Co. Ltd. was formed in 2011 to acquire and restore this 2-8-0T, which had been standing in the open for 48 years, 24 at the Woodham Brothers’ scrapyard at Barry Docks and 24 at a mountainside site in South Wales. Since then a great deal of work has been completed and the locomotive is now back on its wheels. The focus has now moved to repairing the boiler, which will be carried out at Rolvenden.
Your personal details... Are our records up to date?
K&ESR members are reminded to check that the Membership Secretaries hold correct details for them. The Company Secretary and Assistant Secretary are reviewing what changes will be required as a result of the new General Data Protection Regulation, which will come into force during 2018.
A working exchange visit to the Chemin de Fer de la Baie de Somme, the K&ESR’s twin railway in France, has been arranged for April 2018.
People in profile: Helen Douglas
An interview with Helen Douglas, who has been the K&ESR’s Product and Reservations Manager since 2016. Helen has a background in the estate agency profession, and is married to Jamie, a driver on the railway.
Gricer’s irregular musings
A regular volunteer comments on the success of some recent special events (and the resulting strain on volunteers and staff) and the fact that small engines and short trains present an appropriate appearence on the K&ESR, and hopes that more members will become volunteers.
A tribute to the Ashford Area Group
A look back at the Ashford Area Group of the K&ESR, which ceased to hold meetings in 2017. Established by the late Eric Graves in about 1976, the Group has held open meetings, organised visits to places of railway interest in Britain and the Continent, and until 2000 held an annual model railway exhibition. The profits from these ventures has enabled the Group to support a number of projects on the K&ESR, and was involved in the recovery of a number of ex-SE&CR 4-wheeled coach bodies from a site in Beaver Road, Ashford in 1985 - two of which now form part of the K&ESR vintage train.
Tovil: Maidstone’s lost station
The Tovil goods branch did not carry passengers, and when Tovil station was eventually opened in 1884 it was on the Maidstone to Paddock Wood line, on the other side of the Medway from the village of Tovil. Use of the station declined once Tovil was served by electric trams and later by motor buses, and it was closed as a wartime economy measure in 1943.
The K&ESR Steam Train Mileage Register, covering a period starting on 15 August 1932, has been converted to a spreadsheet. This has enabled the K&ESR’s use of motive power for the period to be re-examined. At this time, two steam locomotives were in use each day, with just one return trip from Tenterden to Robertsbridge covered by a petrol railmotor. In the last 4 months of 1932, No. 4 (the Beyer-Peacock 0-6-0ST obtained from the Southern Railway in exchange for the 0-8-0T “Hecate”) ran 47.5% of the total steam locomotive mileage.