CSS graphic

Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 59 – Winter 1992

Tenterden Terrier Number 59Number 59 – Winter 1992

Ashford 150
Doug Lindsay
Report on celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the South Eastern Railway in Ashford.  These included a seminar hosted by Headcorn Historical Society, open days at Chart Leacon depot (including ‘P’ class 0-6-0T No. 1556 from the K&ESR) and steam-hauled special trains

Planning our future
Robin Dyce
Proposals to give a particular identity to each of the station sites – 1940s for Tenterden Town, 1950s for Rolvenden, 1920s for Wittersham Road, 1913 for Northiam and early 1930s for Bodiam

Strangers in paradise
Photographs of three unusual engines on the K&ESR – GWR 0-6-2T No. 6619 on loan from the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, diesel locomotive No. D7672 on loan from the North Staffordshire diesel group, and pannier tank No. 1638 recently purchased by a member from the Dart Valley Railway

The Cavell van
Tom Burnham
History of the prototype SE&CR luggage van (‘utility van’) No. 132 (SR No. 1972) which was used to carry the body of Nurse Edith Cavell from Dover to London in 1919, en route to her official funeral at Norwich Cathedral

The WR Class 16xx tanks and the Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway
Dick Riley
The Western Region 16xx 0-6-0PT class (built from 1949 to 1955) were used on the BP&GVR, which employed Colonel Stephens as consulting engineer for its rebuilding for passenger services in 1909-1913.  No. 1638 of the class, now on the K&ESR, was among the engines used on the BP&GVR

The K&ESR Education Service in changing times
Gerald Siviour
Describes changes which have affected educational visits to the railway since 1987, and how developments such as the National Curriculum are being addressed

The Ilfracombe connection
R.W. Kidner
History of the L&SWR “Ilfracombe Goods” locomotives, built for the lightly-laid Barnstaple to Ilfracombe branch.  Two later came to the K&ESR, “Rother” in 1910 and “Juno” in 1914

Memoirs of a Fat Controller
Neil Rose
Anecdotes from the “Friends of Thomas the Tank Engine” Weekend, 27-28 June 1992